Monday, November 28, 2005

Les Illuminations!


The moment I've been waiting for for the past month and a half has finally come: the Christmas lights have been switched on!

It was this whole big production on Saturday evening complete with fireworks and a light show. The streets of Laval were actually crowded with people who had come from all over the départment to see the lights. It was so nice! Vicky came up from Nantes for the weekend.




The fireworks lasted about half an hour and then the lights suddenly went on. I have to say, they are pretty cool. 2005 seems to be the year of Jules Verne in all of France (I think he died in 1905) and so the theme of the lights this year is Jules Verne. That may explain the whale in the river:

The first picture is my favorite view. It includes a lit-up image of the painter Henri Rousseau (a native of Laval) and a sign that says "LAVAL" in lights Hollywood-style.

More Christmas lights pictures to follow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura.... I know this totally doesnt go under the "Les Illuminations" heading, but this was the most recent one, and I just wanted to wish you a very happy birthday! I hope you are having alot of fun there (and by the looks of it you are) and when you come back I want to hang out!

Rachel Samuels

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAL!!!! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend! Love the blog, can't wait to hear more! Hopefully we'll get to hang out when you're back for Christmas. Oh and you've got a letter in the mail :) A+!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops sorry, anonymous = alissa!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura Sal (and Alissa Sal and Vicky sal - if you're reading this)!

*Sigh I miss the sals.

Laura, I LOVE the blog. Keep up the posting! And bonne anniversaire again. See you soon!
Bises,
Amanda sal

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home